Monday, January 21, 2013

The Grand Trunk Western Railroad Elsdon depot on West 51st Street. ( Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.

I took this photograph way back in October of 1983.

The Grand Trunk Western Railroad's Elsdon Yard located on West 51st Street between South Lawndale Avenue on the west, and South St. Louis Avenue on the east, was actually in it's final week of operation, as the GTW was moving it's freight car terminal operations, to the Belt Railway of Chicago's Clearing Yard near Midway Airport.

The old steam era former Elsdon passenger station built in 1888, was demolished one month after I took this photograph. I am so glad that I took this photograph when I had the opportunity to do so back in 1983.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up about a block from here, in the late 50's and 60's. Used to go to sleep listening to switching in that yard.

Ed J.

Anthony C said...

Many a great childhood memory, watching the trains shuttling back and forth in the yard while sitting with dad on the bench just out of view to the right of the photo.