Monday, July 05, 2010

The 1888 built GTW Elsdon depot on West 51st Street. (Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.

The 1888 built Grand Trunk Western Elsdon depot. Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.

I took this photo way back in October of 1983.

One of My all time personal favorites amongst historic railroad landmarks on Chicago's southwest side, was the old Grand Trunk Western Railroad Elsdon passenger train station on West 51st Street just east of South Lawndale Avenue in Chicago's Elsdon neighborhood.

I discovered this lovely victorian era two story train station, while I was attending nearby Curie High School from 1977 to 1981/ I used to love hanging out here after school sometimes. It was relaxing just to watch the trains here after a long day in high school before I would head home for the evening.

This photo was taken way back in October of 1983, during what was the last week of operation at the GTW Elsdon Yard, Elsdon Yard was being closed for good by the Grand Trunk Western Railroad at this time. One month later in November of 1983, the old GTW Elsdon depot would be demolished.

It was a good thing I showed up here on location with My camera on that sunny October afternoon back in 1983.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: