Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Illinois Northern Railroad Alco S 4 diesel switchers idling outside the enginehouse on a winter morning. Chicago Illinois. Circa 1960's.

 
I found this photograph on the internet recently.
 
I was born in the city of Chicago Illinois, during 1962.
A local Chicago industrial railroad I had grown up with,
was the Illinois Northern Railroad, which was partly owned
by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad, and the -
International Harvester Company.
 
This industrial short line railroad, interchanged with the
parent company A,T & S, F at their Corwith Yard, and
on the east end with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad at South Western and Blue Island Avenues.
 
The Illinois Northern was my neighborhood railroad, as
it switched the once numerous industrial spur sidings in
Chicago's Little Village neighborhood where I grew up
during the 1960's until 1972, when the Santa Fe had -
purchased the I.N from International Harvester, which
by then had already left the city of Chicago Illinois.
 
Online traffic dwindled on the former I.N during the
1970's and 80's. In 1996, the A,T & S,F and the
Burlington Northern Railroad merged, and became
today's BNSF Railway. The BNSF switched the
I.N branch, until approximately 2001, when it
contracted the Central Illinois Railroad, to switch
the remaining on line industries as needed. The
Central Illinois Railroad went defunct in 2010, and
the I.N branch portion from Corwith Yard to Western
Avenue, has been abandoned today.

No comments: