Monday, April 03, 2006

Remember Chicago's Brookfield Zoo Train?

This photograph was taken in October of 1984. This would be the last autum of operation for the Brookfield Zoo Railroad. The Brookfield, Salt Creek and Western Railroad, ran until Labor Day Weekend of 1985. The tracks were dismantled over the next few years or so in stages, and the 3 locomotives and cars sat in storage for 17 years.
In 2002, the two steam locomotives -one diesel locomotive replica -and open coaches, were officially donated to the Hesston Steam Museum in Indianna, not far from New Buffalo Michigan.
The equipment is currently under restoration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered what happened to the trains. When I went to the zoo in the late 80s after a long time away, I thought I remembered the trains, but then I thought I might've been dreaming!

Nice to know that I wasn't. Thanks for your site. Just found out about it yesterday. Keep up the good work!