Wednesday, June 28, 2006

My old neighborhood railroad. The end of the line? May 2006.

This is whats left of the former Illinois Northern railroad, wich ran through My old neighborhood on Chicago's near southwest side. This line, later operated by Santa Fe, ran from Santa Fe's Corwith Yard, to Western and Blue Island Avenues, and interchanged with the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad. This sad scene photographed here in May of 2006, shows the new end of the line approximately 70ft east of Spaulding Avenue. This line has been cut back, and possibly may be facing "Abandonement". I grew up in this neighborhood known as "Little Village" during the 1960's and 70's. I moved from here with My family in the year 1990 to Oaklawn Illinois. Before I had left, Santa Fe operated this line Monday thru Friday serving the factories on line. Santa Fe and the Burlington Northern Railroad "Merged " in 1995, and became BNSF. BNSF sold this line in 2000 to DRS Rail Services. It now appears that there may be only one industry left, and it is switched as needed only. This very well may be a "Last Look" at an old neighborhood friend I grew up with.

No comments: