Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Canadian National Railroad switching local. Forest Park Illinois USA. Late August 2006.

I was running errands after work on a rainy late august evening during the summer of 2006. As I was driving west on Cermak Road, I spotted out My passenger window what was the normally "Never to be seen" CN switching local from the former Illinois Central Railroad Iowa Division mainline. This is a nearly 2 mile "Dead End" railroad spur branch that ironically runs alongside a Cemetery. (Dead End. Get it?)

Many times I have passed this industrial branch line, but never had the pleasure of seeing the switching local that serves the factories and warehouses along this line. I spotted it on a rainy late afternon this day. I parked My car across the street, and walked into the Woodlawn Cemetery, where I took some rare railfan photographs on the grassy knoll thats on the east side of the cemetery. The weather was wet, but the opportunity for a photographer to shoot a rare piece of subject matter, put some sunshine in My attitude. It was definately the Right Time and Right place situation when one leasts expects it to happen.

No comments: