Thursday, September 14, 2006

GTW and DT&I diesel locomotives on GTW Elsdon roundhouse servicing tracks. Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.

I took this photograph in early October of 1983. These were the fueling and servicing tracks at the Grand Trunk Western Railroad's Elsdon roundhouse. This old Steam Era engine house was in it's last week of operation when I photographed these scenes on location. The EMD diesel locomotive to the right, was originally from the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad. This line was acquirred by the GTW Through a merger in 1981 and was absorbed into their corporate system.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is great. I just stumbled into a treasure trove.I also went to curie and grew up in and out of that yard all the time(open and closed). I can still remember just about every detail from both sides of 51st.

Anonymous said...

alot of stairs to walk up on that tank.Eddie always wanted to go to Currie by distric was forced to go to Gage Park also grad... from Sawyer School.NICE PHOTO!!!!!