Tuesday, November 11, 2014

An early 1980's era Illinois Central Gulf Railroad grain extra in H.O Scale.

 
I took this photograph last week Wednsday night, at the Oak Park
Society of Model Engineers,H.O Scale Model Railroad Club, in
Oak Park Illinois.  OPSME on Facebook.
 
When I was growing up on the near southwest side of Chicago
during the 1960's, 70's and 80's era...I lived several blocks north
of the former Illinois Central's Iowa Division Mainline, and about
one mile north of the former Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad  line.
 
During the 1970's and 80's (Post 1972) I seen many unit grain
extras operating over the Illinois Central Gulf over both former
mainlines. Heck! I just had to have one for memory sake as well.
 
Although I originally "Hated" this ugly and utilitarian orange
and gray color scheme that the ICG introduced in 1980, I miss
the old ICG today, and now it doesn't look so bad after all.
 
This train shown here, takes me back to my southside Chicago days!
 
Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: