Monday, July 07, 2014

An early 1970's merger era Illinois Central Gulf Railroad switching local in H.O Scale.

 
 
I took this photograph at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers,H.O
Scale Model Railroad Club in Oak Park Illinois.
 
I model 1960's and 70's era Chicago railroading, and recapture my own
memories of near southwest side Chicago railroading as I somewhat recall
how it was like during my own childhood and teen years in the 1960's and
70's era in miniature. I was just a kid back then, and did not own my first
camera yet, or go lineside railfanning until I was much older by a few years.
 
One of my favorite railroads I remember from the near southwest side of Chicago
back in the day, was the former Illinois Central Gulf Railroad. I was just 10
years old when the Illinois Central and the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio merged in
August of 1972, thus becoming the "New" Illinois Central Gulf back then.
 
Early ICG trains were quite a mix of equipment from both merging companies,
old color schemes and markings, new color schemes and markings, older and
newer equipment and facilities, and happy railfan memories for folks like Me.
 
In this photo...it is a scene typical of the 1972 merger era. A former I.C EMD
SW 900 yard switcher still wearing the I.C's pre 1967 black and white color
scheme, pulls a consist of period box cars in tow across the big bridge.
 
Thanks.
Eddie k.

No comments: