Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The abandoned Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad's "I.N / ex Illinois Northern Railroad industrial branchline. CChicago Illinois. June 1984 and December 2014.


 
One Chicago railroad line that I consider my "Neighborhood Railroad",
was the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad's I.N or former Illinois
Northern Railroad industrial branchline, which would switch the
once many on line factory spur sidings, in Chicago's Little Village
neighborhood Monday thru Friday, during the 1970's and 80's.
 
I grew up just a few city blocks from this rail line. Hard times in
the wake of the 1996 A,T & S,F and Burlington Northern merger,
would find the BNSF Railroad lease the line to DRS Rail Services
in the year of 2000. The line was eventually cut back to West 31st
Street, and just switched as needed. The BNSF Railway, has since
abandoned this once busy rail line. The reacks and crossing signals
have since been removed.

No comments: