Tuesday, July 25, 2006

News Update! Surviving steam era coaling tower DEMOLISHED!

Hello everyone.
This is Your host and photographer "Eddie", here to pass along a News Update. I have been experiencing some "Major" computer network problems, and have been having Technical Difficulties while trying to upload some new photographs to "Eddie's Railfan Page" today.

After work yesterday, something just didn't look right to Me, as I was looking east from My place of employment, toward the Union Pacific M-19 Diesel Shop located at 400 North Pulaski Road, located in the city of Chicago Illinois USA. I spotted only "One" of the two concrete steam era coaling towers, That I had wrote about on My July 18th posting here at My railfan page. I had also spotted what looked like the boom from a crane sticking up in the shop area.

I drove up the driveway to the M-19 Diesel shop, and had seen a pile of concrete rubble where one of the towers was just standing yesterday. The demolition crane was already set up by the tower that I had posted a photograph on for My July 18th Posting at Eddie's Railfan Page. I
am so thankful that I went out and photographed these railroad structural landmarks from a forgotten era of Chicago railroad history. Unused since the mid 1950's...These two forelorn concrete coaling towers have finally met "The Wrecking Ball" on Monday ,July 24th 2006.
Progress has a way of erasing the historical past, and now another icon from the steam era has "Vanished" for good. Equipment from the National Wrecking Company was on the property destroying an unused piece of our Chicago railroad heritage.

I really wanted to go back and shoot a few more snapshots, but My work schedule had Me too active, and I couldn't afford to waste another roll of film at the time. If I hadn't photographed these facilities when I did this summer, they may have been lost forever. In future postings of Eddie's Railfan Page, I will show some more photos of the old Chicago and Northwestern Railroad steam era coaling towers that once stood at 400 North Pulaski Road in the windy city.

Steam era coaling towers......Rest in peace.

Thank You.
Eddie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»