Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Oak Park Society of Model Engineers H.O Scale model railroad club.Oak Park Illinois USA. March 2011.

I took this photo, during a recent operating session at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers H.O Scale Model Railroad Club.

One of My favorite southside Chicago railroads I enjoyed seeing whenever I had the opportunity to do so, was the Norfolk & Western Railroad.

When I was growing up in Chicago during the 1960's and 70's, My Aunt Tereasa, Uncle Rudy and My Cousins Terry, Joey and Richard Horvath lived on West 80th Place east of South St. Louis Avenue, in Chicago's Ashburn neighborhood.

Just south of where they lived running alongside Southwest Highway, was the Norfolk & Western Railroad. Prior to October of 1964, this N & W line, was the Wabash Railroad originally. In 1964, the Norfolk & Western absorbed the Nickle Plate Road and the Wabash Railroad through merger, making them all N & W.

This H.O Scale freight car, is an Athearn 50 foot double door boxcar wearing the post 1964 N & W markings, wich were used until replaced by a large and simple NW in 1971.

The N & W logo to the left side of the car doors, was refered to as the Norfolk & Western "Hamburger" logo by many railfans.

No comments: