Monday, August 19, 2013

Preserved CTA 1951 Marmon Herrington electric trolley bus. The Illinois Railway Museum. Union Illinois. August 2006.

One of my favorite operating exhibits at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union Illinois, are the two preserved 1951 Chicago Transit Authority electric trolley buses.

I grew up riding these on the CTA Rt # 52 / Kedzie -California bus line during the 1960's.

It's nice to know that some of my childhood bus riding memories from Chicago, are alive and well today.

1 comment:

Anthony C said...

I, too, have fond memories of the trolley busses on route #52 along South Kedzie Avenue in the 1960s.

My mother and I would board at 63rd Street, just after the bus swung out of the small turnaround on 63rd Place. We'd ride north for shopping at the Robert Hall Village store just past Archer, as well as search for an old collectible or bit of bric-a-brac at the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) thrift store just across Kedzie.

Later, we'd walk northeast a block or two on Archer for my reward: a barbecue beef sandwich at a typical little neighborhood eatery, the name of which I've long since forgotten.

I remember my fare being only 12 cents back then.