Tuesday, August 20, 2013

children's bargain town 1970

I found this historic photograph on the internet a few days ago.

One of my personal happy childhood memories growing up in Chicago during the 1960's and early 1970's, were the occasional family visits to the Children's Bargain Town" toy store located at the southeast corner of West 63rd Street and South Cicero Avenue, in Chicago's Westlawn neighborhood.

Every shopping trip here, included watching the airplanes take off and land at Midway Airport across the street. Fun and very inexpensive family entertainment for parents with little children back in the day.

The Children's Bargain Town store chain fell on hard economic times by the early 1970's, and was bought out by the mega Toys R Us" franchise stores. Toys R Us moved to Burbank Illinois further south on South Cicero Avenue, and the old Children's Bargain Town would later become various wholesale establishments over the passing of years.

This building is still standing here today, at the location where Chicago's Westlawn and Clearing neighborhoods border each other.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

Anthony C said...

What an awesome find. I swear I don't remember this place or its prominent sign, even though I should. I lived pretty close by and I'm sure as a child I would've been there at least a time or two.