Wednesday, February 26, 2014

One of the lighted interior menus at Nicky's Gyros on South Archer Avenue. Chicago Illinois. Tuesday night, February 25th, 2014.

One of my favorite local neighborhood eateries I used to patronize when I lived on the southwest side of Chicago many years ago, was the quaint little Nicky's Gyros fast food stand, which is located on the northeast corner of South Archer and Austin Avenues in Chicago's Garfield Ridge neighborhood near Midway Airport.

Nicky's has been in business for many years, and also has a few other locations on the south side of Chicago serving inexpensive and tasty fast food favorites such as their famous Big Baby double cheeseburger, Pizza puffs, Tamale boats (Chilli and a tamale) Grecian gyros, and many other selections of comfort food.

During the mid 1980's, I used to frequent the Nicky's Gyros location on South Kedzie Avenue and West 58th Street in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood. I seem to recall that they had a gentleman with a Greek accent who used to shout the orders to the cook in the kitchen behind him. It often sounded like "Two Cheeseborgers and a Pizza Poof.

When I have the occasional opportunity to visit the southwest side of Chicago like I did last night, I try to make it a priority, to stop and visit my Nicky's Gyros place I used to eat at.

It's been many years, and their food is still tasty and inexpensive today.

I still enjoy Nicky's Gyros.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: