Thursday, May 22, 2014

Construction of the Chicago Transit Authority's orange line rapid transit to Midway Airport. Chicago Illinois. Early March 1989.

 
I took this photograph, way back in early March of 1989.
 
We are along the west side of South Pulaski Road facing east, at
approximately West 51st Street in Chicago's West Elsdon
neighborhood near Chicago's Midway Airport.
 
Construction crews have recently began removing the rails from the
recently abandoned Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad's Stock Yards branch.
 
This photo location, is immediately south of Curie High School.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss this area. I spent many days around there watching trains

Eddie said...

I was a teenage railfan myself.

I spent much time watching trains here as well, when I was attending Curie High School from 1977 to 1981. Sometimes from a classroom window.

Unfortunately, I did not own my first camera yet. I would have liked to have photographed the Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad stockyards branch local, as it used old diesels in a black and white color scheme, jade green cabooses, and looked like the 1950's and 60's era New York Central Railroad freight trains.

Thanks.
Eddie K.