This photograph was taken at the Illinois Railway Museum, located in Union Illinois. This electric streetcar was built in 1948 by the St. Louis Car Company for the newly formed (1947) Chicago Transit Authority. (Formerly Chicago Surface Lines) This car ran for only 10 years on Chicago's City Streets before total bus replacement by 1958. Chicago Transit Authority #4391 is the Sole Survivor of the newer PCC streetcars. The others were sold for scrap to the St. Louis Car Company, But the components like the Trucks -
Brakes -Control Gear -Wall Panels and other things were recycled and used in creating the new Chicago Transit Authority 6000 series Rapid Transit EL Cars, wich were used until the early to mid 1990's. A number of the 6000 series cars wound up at IRM and several Museums.