Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Santa Fe tower building. October 1988.

This photograph of yet another fallen railroad landmark in Chicago Illinois, was photographed in October of 1988. This view is looking west on 41st Street toward Kedzie Avenue on Chicago's southwest side, in the Brighton Park neighborhood community. This building was originally the Crane Plumbing Supply warehouse. The Atchitson Topeka and Santa Fe railroad in their adjacent Corwith Yard took over this building sometime during the 1970's. The round Santa Fe logo, was originally a large clock with the word "Crane" below it. The Santa Fe merged with the Burlington Northern railroad in 1995, and I believe that it was around that time, that the old Santa Fe tower building was demolished. This property today, is now being used to store and move truck trailers and intermodal containers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a landmark of Brighton Park! The old Crane Company tower purchased and painted with the Santa Fe logo.

I remember the sounds stamping out the bathtub fixtures made. I also clearly remember a Crane Company water tower on the property along 43rd street around Christiana.

I remember the publicity this got when they razed it - I think I still have the article from the Brighton Park Life newspaper. If so, I'll post it on my blog.