Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Northbound Ford school bus at the intersection of West 63rd Street and South Kedzie Avenue. Chicago Illinois USA. March 1986.

I took this photo from the northwest corner of West 63rd Street and South Kedzie Avenue, back in March of 1986. A ford school bus waits for the green light to change on South Kedzie Avenue, as everybody is busy going their own way.
Behind the school bus, is the now boarded up and soon to be demolished Marquette movie theatre building, wich would be levalled in approximately two weeks from the time of this photograph.

During the 1970's, My Family and I had seen many movies at the old Marquette theatre.

6 comments:

Tom Gill said...

Wasn't Martroy Electronics on this corner as well? Or was that 59th?

Eddie said...

Hi Tom!
No, Martoy electronics was across the street on the northside of West 63rd Street. Martoy was near the northeast corner.

Thank You.
Eddie.

Anonymous said...

I can still remember how that corner hamburger stand always had a big flock of pidgeons roosting on it. That was disgusting.

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo Eddie...this was just a few blocks from my uncles house on 63rd and Richmond. Thanks for the photo. Dennis

Anonymous said...

I don't remember that ratty hamburger joint, although I was around during that time. I readily remember the old Cupid Candies that once occupied that spot back in the glory days. A family friend even had an office above the theater in the 1970s as a young attorney.

There was nothing better than to spend an entire Saturday at the Marquette Theater during a Three Stooges or James Bond marathon.

Anonymous said...

The Marquette Theater. I spent many afternoons at that place during the early 70's. Ah, the good old days.