Thursday, December 20, 2012

Night time at the Grand Trunk Western Elsdon depot on West 51st Street. ( Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. April 1983.

I took this photograph, way back in April of 1983. I had just recently purchased my first 35mm camera, a Pentex M.E Super in March of 1983, and took this photograph with it.

I was hanging out one night at the site of the Grand Trunk Western Railroad's Elsdon Yard on West 51st Street in Chicago, with an old Curie High School buddy named Jeff, who was also an avid photographer.

We are facing west along the south side of West 51st Street, just east of South Lawndale Avenue in Chicago's Elsdon neighborhood.

Seen here as it was during it's final years of operation as a railroad crew change depot and yard office, is the wooden two story GTW Elsdon train station built in 1881 at night.

The GTW closed Elsdon Yard in October of 1983, and demolished the old Elsdon depot shown here, in November of that year.

I am so glad that I took this experirimental night time photo during my early days of photography when I did back in 1983.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

Anthony C said...

Awesome.