Friday, December 21, 2012

The GTW interchange track at the former Grand Trunk Western Elsdon Yard site. Chicago Illinois. January 2007.

I took this photograph one morning, during a January 2007 visit to some of my old stomping grounds from my former Curie High School days.

We are at the former Grand Trunk Western Railroad Elsdon Yard site, where I actually spent many hours after school when I attended nearby Curie High School from 1977 to 1981.

This view is facing south, just a few blocks north of West 51st Street, east of South Lawndale Avenue. Seen here looking in to the hazy morning sunshine to the south, is the interchange track that connected the former Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad's Corwith Yard to the north (Behind Me), and the GTW Elsdon Yard to the south in the direction I am facing.

The GTW Elsdon Yard had closed in October of 1983, and part of the former yard site, was redeveloped as a railroad material storage depot. Other parts of the former GTW Elsdon Yard site, are gradually being redeveloped for commercial and residential real estate sites.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

Anthony C said...

This has been a lonely connection for a very long time now and
I'd be surprised if it has been used at all in recent years. Cool shot.