An event that has been making much news in railfan circles today, is the mechanical
and cosmetic restoration of the former Rochester Gas & Electric Company G.E 45
ton light centercab diesel electric locomotive # 1941, which is owned and operated
by the Rochester And Gennesee Valley Railroad museum, located in Rochester N.Y
Locomotive # 1941, was built by General Electric in 1941, and worked for many years
in industrial switching service for the Rochester Gas & Electric Company. Today it
pulls tourist trains in Rochester New York.
Here is RGE locomotive # 1941 making a test run after a mechanical restoration. Notice
the single chime air whistle, which sounds like something one would hear many years
ago on the Chicago, North Shore And Milwaukee Railroad interurban trains, or the 1920's
era electric streetcars that had served the La Grange Illinois line of the Chicago & West
Towns Railway. Notice also the side rods on the locomotive trucks much like that on a
Heisler steam locomotive. This is because this locomotive only has two traction motors
instead of the standard 4. This was a cost cutting measure by General Electric. The power
is transmitted to the unmotored axel via connecting side rods.