Tuesday, July 16, 2013

An early merger era Illinois Central Gulf freight train with two cabooses bringing up the rear circa 1972. The Oak Park Society of Model Engineers,H.O Scale Model Railroad Club. Oak Park Illinois. June 2013.

I took this photograph recently, at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers,H.O Scale Model Railroad Club in Oak Park Illinois.

I was only 10 years old when the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio ,and the Illinois Central railroads had merged to become the Illinois Central Gulf way back in August of 1972. I grew up on the near southwest side of Chicago during this era, and have happy memories of the ICG.

Fast forward 41 years later, and now I model the early ICG in H.O Scale today as an adult.

My train shown here, represents an early ICG merger era train circa 1972 -1973 with
the mix match collection of equipment and
color schemes from the two companies, viewed on any given passing ICG freight train.

No comments: