Thursday, March 30, 2006

55th street tower. (gone) May 1984..

This location was a "Favorite" of mine when I was attending Curie High School nearby from 1977 to 1981. Unfortunately...I wasn't the Railfan Photographer yet. This is My only photograph I have of this wonderful railroad junction. I was too busy photographing other rail locations and subjects, and almost missed out altogether. 55th street tower and junction was located east of Cicero Avenue between 55th street and Archer Avenue on Chicago's Southwest side. This junction was were the Belt Railway of Chicago "Crossed Itself". The Indianna Harbor Belt Railroad's Chicago stockyards industrial branch also crossed here too. We are looking Northwest in this photograph of the tower and crosstracks. The tower was demolished around 1990. Todays CTA Orange Line Rapid Transit passes Immediately overhead at this BRC Junction.

No comments: