Monday, December 07, 2009

Elderly orange Chicago, South Shore and South Bend RR interurban coaches at Randolph Street Station. Chicago Illinois USA. August 1979.

Chicago's Randolph Street station. Chicago Illinois. August 1979.

I took this photo at Chicago's Randolph Street Station one hot summer morning, way back in August of 1979. I was only 17 years old back then, and was about to ride the South Shore from Chicago to Michigan City Indiana.

Although I had taken a small handful of train photos prior to this one at the Illinois Railway Museum, I consider this rare gem to be My actual "First" railfan photo. Thjis was the very first time I actually photographed a real genuine piece of everyday railroad equipment.

These orange heavy weight electric interurban M.U coaches from the Chicago, South Shore and South Bend Railroad were in their final years of service, and would be retired altogether in 1983. They were still normal everyday sights back in 1979 yet.
Luckilly...several have found homes in a number of railroad museums in the USA.

No comments: