Monday, April 15, 2013

An early 1970's era Illinois Central Gulf local freight train crossing the Missisippi River lift bridge.

Hi everyone!
This is Eddie K, your host and photographer here at Eddie's Railfan Page.

I grew up in the city of Chicago Illinois during the 1960's and 70's, and I enjoy modeling the various trains from the different fallen flag railroads that had served the windy city when I was growing up back then.

One railroad I fondly remember, was the Illinois Central Gulf, which was created from the August 10th 1972 merger of the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio, and the Illinois Central railroads.

Seen here operating on the club layout at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers,H.O Scale Model Railroad, is my own early 1970's era ICG train crossing a model of a railroad lift bridge that spans a section of the layout representing a crossing of the Missisippi River at the Illinois / Iowa state line borders.

During the 1970's and early 1980's, I used to spot these former Illinois Central steam era side door steel cabooses, operating on the former Illinois Central Railroad's Iowa Division Mainline.

No comments: