Monday, April 29, 2013

Lake Street Tower. Chicago Illinois. March 1983. (Gone)

I took this photograph one cold night, back in late March of 1983.

I had just recently purchased my first 35 mm camera, which was a Pentex M.E Super, and this was one of my first 35 mm night time railfan photographs.

Seen here along the Chicago River west of downtown Chicago at an area known as Wolf Point, is the Lake Street Tower. For many years, this interlocking tower had controlled passenger train traffic in and out of the north end of Chicago Union Station.

I found out recently, that this tower was demolished by Chicago's Metra commuter rail agency, in January of 2013.

2 comments:

winslow said...

My first camera was also a Pentax ME (I bought a ME Super several years later). One of my first shoots was downtown at night.

I also did miles and miles of bike riding throughout the Chicago and Suburban area but never had a camera with me back then.

Anthony C said...

Wow, awesome shot! And from back in the day when you had to actually use some experience, intelligence and maybe just a small anount of luck to get a good night-time exposure.

And it's gone?!? Saw it just a few months ago...but as you point out, by January of just this year it was all over.