Tuesday, October 17, 2006

23 Years ago this Month. October 1983. GTW Elsdon Yard closed.

Hello everybody!
Welcome to Eddie's Railfan Page.
In past installments on My blog site, I had recieved many E-mails and annonymous comments from southside Chicago railfans who grew up in the Grand Trunk Western Elsdon Yard area along West 51st Street, or had fond memories of the old place. 23 Years ago, in early October of 1983...I visited Elsdon Yard with My camera in hand, only to sadly find out that this was actually the last week the yard would still be in operation. GTW was actually moving their operations and servicing to the Belt Railway of Chicago's "Clearing Yard" facility near Midway airport. Here I was , beautiful Indian Summer weather -Camera -Film -Good walking shoes -and many nice things I had taken for granted that were about to disappear from Chicago. I wound up paying My last respects that day. This is the old Elsdon Depot on West 51st Street just east of South Lawndale Avenue. This beautifull 2 story wooden train station from 1888 would be demolished in November of 1983. I was told that a bulldozer crew had it levalled in 2 hours. Todays posting is for people who remember the former GTW Elsdon Yard and Roundhouse facilities. We will now pay tribute to this place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the saddest days in Chicago RR History