Monday, December 30, 2013

A BNSF Railway one car transfer train on a hold order. Corwith Yard. Chicago Illinois. January 2007.

I took this photograph one morning back in January of 2007.

The area in this photograph located just immediately east of South Lawndale Avenue at approximately West 49th Street on the southwest side of Chicago, was one of my first "Railfan" locations I used to go to, and hang out just to watch the local train activity while I attended nearby Curie High School from 1977 to 1981. Unfortunately...I did not own my first camera yet. "Darn!"

After an absence of several years, I was passing through the area, and decided to stop and visit my old teenage railfan haunt.

I could not have picked a better time to do so.

a very unique and one of a kind BNSF Railway one car / extra movement intermodal transfer train, had just departed from the nearby former
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R R Corwith Yard, and was viewed idling on the Belt Railway of Chicago owned interchange track, waiting for clearance to proceed westbound over the BRC's own single track heavily ballasted branchline track.

I spent much time railfanning this branchline during the late 1970's and early 1980's, as it ran right behind Curie High School. I can recall seeing many Santa Fe transfer trains on this line.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: