Tuesday, January 07, 2014

IN 33 1970

IN 33 1970 by clkayleib
IN 33 1970, a photo by clkayleib on Flickr.

I found this "Rare" photograph that was taken just southeast of my old near southwest side Chicago neighborhood, at someone elses Flickr photo page.

I grew up on the near southwest side of Chicago during the 1960's and 70's, in a
blue collar industrial neighborhood known
as "Little Village".

The Illinois Northern Railroad, was my neighborhood railroad, and served the industries here until 1972, when the parent
company Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe had
bought them out altogether in 1972.

Here is a "rare" photograph of an Alco powered Illinois Northern freight train, approaching the Ash Street interlocking north of Chicago's Brighton Park neighborhood in 1970.

I could still recall that Alco turbo charger whine when these engines performed
switching on the I.N branch, as well as the blue smoke and single chime air horn.

I was just 8 years old when this photo was taken. Wow!

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: