Sunday, September 27, 2009

Chicago's Kiddieland Amusement Park. 1928 -2009. Melrose Park Illinois. Farewell old friend.

The Kiddieland Amusement Park sign. Kiddieland Amusement Park. Melrose Park Illinois. November 2006.

Hi everyone!
This is Eddie K, Your host and photographer here at Eddie's Railfan Page.

Todays posting is dedicated in tribute to Chicago's Kiddieland Amusement Park in near northwest suburban Melrose Park Illinois. After 81 years in operation, Kiddieland is officially closing for good today. Kiddieland was the last family style amusement park in the greater Chicagoland Area., and it will be greatly missed.

Chicagoland once had several little amusemment parks with places like Adventurland in Addison Illinois. (Closed 1976) Fairyland in Lyons Illinois. (Closed 1978) and Playland Park in Justice Illinois. (Closed 1979)

Today, We bid "Farewell ti Kidieland". Long Live Kiddieland!
81 years of local Chicago area family fun and memorys.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

5 comments:

Lin said...

Thanks for that picture, Eddie. It is really sad about Kiddieland. Rumor has it that they want to put a Costco on that corner. Just what we need.
To me the saddest part of this whole story is that this is the last of it's kind here. These small parks were great for spending a few hours on a Sunday afternoon, or going in the evening. You can't do that any more. If you go to Great America (notice, I said if) you have to spend the whole day. It's a big project. No more deciding on a whim to spend a few hours looking at the lights, playing the games and watching the kids on the rides. I already told my daughter that it will be sad when she has her own kids.
As an aside, my grandmother worked in Riverview Park, so we went there several times every summer. I was too young to go on the bigger roller coasters, but I do remember Riverview pretty well.

Centsible.net said...

Eddie, what a great post! I hope you don't mind that I've linked to your blog from my tribute page to Kiddieland http://www.squidoo.com/kiddieland . I'd love it if you'd pop by and sign the guestbook.

Eddie said...

Hi Centsible.net!
Yes! By all means, You have My permission and blessing. Go for it!
I am glad that You enjoyed My posting about Kiddieland.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Beast308 said...

I drove past the old Kiddielnad site on Christmas Day and I was so sad that the sign I had seen since I was little was gone, and a big Costco stood in its place. It would have been cool if the sign could have stayed as a historical landmark, even with the Costco there. The go kart track was also gone next to the property too and it is a car wash now. I know that it's progress and all that, but it's tough to see when you went there as a kid, took your kids there and your Grandkids too. We'll remember you fondly, Kiddieland!