Thursday, September 24, 2009

The original Ford City sign on South Pulaski Road. (Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. October 1982.

The original Ford City sign on South Pulaski Road. Chicago Illinois. October 1982.

Hello everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page from the city of Chicago Illinois.

Out of all of the many photos I had taken over the years, this one is definately by far one of My personal all time favorites.

I took this photo one night, in October of 1982. This is the original roadside Ford City shopping center sign that used to stand at South Pulaski Road and West 76th Street near Chicago's Ashburn and Scottsdale neighborhoods on the southwest side of the city. I was attending an evening Adult Education 35mm Photography course at the adjacent Richard J. Daley College. After a few tips from our teacher, I went outside at breaktime, and took this unique night time photo along South Pulaski Road.

This was one of My very first 35mm night time photos, and it turned out pretty good.
I was using a second hand 35mm werlisa camera a now deceased family member had loaned Me for the class. I bought My first 35mm camera in early March of 1983.

The Ford City shoppin center mall was remodeled extensively in 1988, and this lovely sign unfortunately was one of the first things to go. I am glad I photographed this Icon from My days of living on the southwest side of Chicago Illinois.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

3 comments:

Lin said...

I fondly remember Ford City. I remember when it first opened, although I was still a kid. They had some cool stores and I remember the sort of tunnel underneath with even cooler shops! My favorite place to eat was John's Garage. They had a great hamburger and salad bar. There used to also be a Farrell's Ice Cream shop on the outskirts off of Cicero. That was really the first place to go shopping, the first mall that I remember. Thanks for pic, Eddie!

Eddie said...

Hi Lin!
I also have many happy memorys of Ford City as well. My Family went there quiete a bit during the 1970's and 80's. I loved the Ford City Bowling Center and the restaurant known as Tally's Pub. I always enjoyed shopping at Woolworth's. My family and I frequently went to Farrel's Ice Cream and Henrici's Restaurant by the Holiday Inn.

My favorite part of the mall was that tunnel section You described. It was known as "Peacock Alley".

The last time I went to Ford City was in 1994. By then most of the stores I liked were gone, and the clientel looked like a gang rumble waiting to happen.

I will always cherish My happy Ford City memorys.

Thanks.
Eddie k.

Anonymous said...

I won't go there today. It is much too unsafe. Too much riff raff.
What went wrong?

Keith.