Tuesday, September 08, 2009

A local neighborhood laundromat. Chicago Illinois USA. Late August 2009.

A local neighborhood laundromat. Chicago Illinois. Late August 2009.

Nothing says local neighborhood establishment in the city of Chicago, quiete like the many laundromat and dry cleaning business that dot the neighborhood landscape.
I took this photo in late August of 2009. This neighborhood laundromat, is located along the east side of North Harlem Avenue, near the intersection at West Belmont Avenue in Chicago's Mont Clare neighborhood.

As a little boy growing up in the city of Chicago during the 1960's and early 1970's, I would walk to our neighborhood laundromat and assist My Mother with folding the laundry. In this photo, one of the things advertised on the windows, is an Internet PC Room inside, Gee whiz! I was lucky if they had a soda or snack machine!
You were even luckier yet if there was an attendant on duty.

Neighborhood laundromats often are places were family and friends can get together and socialize while the wash is begining the spin cycle. In west suburban Berwyn Illinois, there is one that is named The Worlds Largest Laundromat on Cermak Road wich is approximately 4 storefronts big. Wow! Neighborhood places nonetheless.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

Eddie,
When you went to the laundromat did you go to one of the "Norge Villages"? I can recall one of those Norge Balls on Kedzie near 51st. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the Cetral Wire and Steel kitty corner to it.

Dennis Madia

Eddie said...

Hi Dennis!
I actually went to several laundromats growing up in Chicago.
My Mother and I used to go to this local run down "Dive" storefront one on West 26th Street west of South Spaulding Avenue during the early to mid 1970's when I used to live in the Little Village neighborhood. No TV, No vending machines, No air conditioning. However there was a nice older gentleman who worked there as an attendent.

From 1975 to about 1981, My family and I actually did go to the Norgetown laundromat on South Kedzie Avenue near West 51st Street. I enjoyed going to this one, as it was a few blocks south of the GTW Elsdon Roundhouse. Many times, I would get a sandwich from the nearby La Porta's Food Service hot dog stand on the southwest corner of 51st and kedzie, or walk a few blocks south to the corner drug store at 55th and Kedzie to buy a magazine. Aaaah. Happy memorys.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

Anonymous said...

Nice one Eddie!
I love seeing photos and storys of neighborhood places like this.

William.