Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Preserved early 1900's era wooden interurban train from the Chicago, Aurora, and Elgin Railroad. The Illinois Railway Museum. Union Illinois USA. 2009

Preserved early 1900's era wooden interurban train from the Chicago, Aurora and Elgin Railroad. The Illinois Railway Museum. Union Illinois. Friday, July 3rd 2009.

The Chicago, Aurora and Elgin electric interurban railroad ceased to exist as a passenger railroad in 1957, and finally a freight hauler in 1959. Although I was born in 1962...and unfortunately "Missed IT"! Dang! I can count My blessings everytime I visit the Illinois Railway Museum located in Union Illinois. Here, I can experience riding aboard preserved equipment from the C,A & E today. The equipment shown here, is painted in the 1940's era "Washington Blue" color scheme.

The former Chicago, Aurora and Elgin right of way today, is now the Illinois Prairie Path bicycle trail. The old station in Villa Park Illinois, is now a store.

2 comments:

Ainsworthiana said...

I started commuting on the South Shore Line in the early 1980s when they were still using the old cars, some from the 1920s, I think. Those old cars broke down a lot, but they were very interesting!

Eddie said...

Hi!
I rode the South Shore quiete a bit during the mid to late 1970's when they were still using those old orange 1920's era heavyweight cars too. Some were rebuilt, lenghtened and modernized during the 1940's. They all were retired from service by 1983, and several have been preserved in museums.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

P.S I loved riding those old cars from Chicago to Michigan City Indiana back then.