Thursday, April 11, 2013

An old abandoned Mom and Pop neighborhood side street grocery store in Chicago's Mount Greenwood neighborhood. March 1989.

I took this photograph way back in March of 1989.

For many decades, the city of Chicago was the fabled land of the local neighborhod side street mom and pop owned little grocery store.

I found this then closed and abandoned example from the past, at South Homan Avenue and west 107th Street, in Chicago's Mount Greenwood neighborhood on the southside of Chicago.

Although a thing of the past, there seems to have been a small resurgence of these in recent years, in certain Chicago neighborhoods.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's great you photoed that. I'm not 100% but when I was a kid we were still buying gum from there in the late 80's. Don's just officially closed. I was browsing through some of your Mt. greenwood photos....you ever get any of the farm? That's where I grew up. I am the only "farm boy" from the City.

the____general@hotmail.com