Friday, November 22, 2013

Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad EMD NW-2 # 8730 in Blue Island Illinois. June 1975

I found this Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad from 1975 on the internet.

For many years, I myself have been a big fan of the IHB. I experienced my first real exposure to the IHB, when I started my Freshman year semester in 1977 at Chicago's Curie High School. My high school was located directly alongside the IHB's own Stockyards Branch, and I would occasionally watch the IHB Stockyards branch local pass by the railroad crossing, at West 49th Street and South Lawndale Avenue.

The IHB locomotives back then, wore this black and white 1960'sera New York Central style color scheme, and often had jade green transfer cabooses, or cupola cabooses with the upper windows plated over. The IHB was also 100 percent EMD yard switcher operated back then, except for the many run through trains on their mainline from other connecting railroads.

The IHB's own stockyards branch was abandoned in December of 1988, and soon ripped up. The right of way was sold for development, and today part of it is used for the Chicago Transit Authority's orange line rapid transit to Midway Airport.

Most of the IHB's EMD switchers have been retired, and replaced with newer EMD roadswitcher locomotives.

Thanks.
Eddie .

No comments: