Monday, April 05, 2010

1960's era photo! New York City Transit Authority GMC fishbowl windshield bus with "Bat Wings" advertising panels. NYC

New York City Transit Authority 1960's era GMC "New Look" Fishbowl windshield bus with "Bat Wing" advertising panels tnear the roof. New York City.

I recently spotted this photo on the internet from New York City along with several other really nice ones from the "Big Apple", but I can't remember the name of the website. (Thank goodness I had copied several photos from it first.)

I have never visited New York City before, but I hope to do so eventually.

This photo appears to have been taken at some point in time, during the late 1960's or early 1970's in New York City. The GMC "New Look" fishbowl windshield transit bus, was futuristic in design when it was introduced in the year of 1959. I grew up
riding the Chicago Transit Authority's GMC buses like this , until they were retired in 1996.

Toward the buse's roofline, We see horizontal lenghthwise advertising panels. These panels were affectionately nicknamed "Bat Wings". I vaguely remember seeing a few CTA buses like this during the 1960's in Chicago, that also had "Batwing Panels"..but somehow, they just didn't catch on here in the windy city.

Still, this is a nice photo from New York City nonetheless.

If anyone can identify this photo location, I would really like to know where it was taken. Brooklyn? Manhattan?

No comments: