Thursday, January 26, 2012














Hi everyone!
This is Eddie K, Your host and photographer here at Eddie's Railfan Page.

Aside from My interests in trains, buses, and various transportation subjects...
I have been a lifelong fan of classic American roadside drive in restaurants from the 1950's and 60's era.

I was born in Chicago Illinois in 1962, and I remember seeing the last of these classic American roadside icons in the greater Chicagoland area. Most were gone by 1975. I seem to recall, that west suburban Berwyn Illinois once had a good number of these on Illinois U.S Route # 34 / Ogden Avenue aka Old U.S Rt # 66.

I found this photo on the internet today.

Seen here is a place that was known as Sandy's Drive In, wich no longer exists, but was located in the city of Peoria Illinois.

Until it closed in 2007, I can fondly remember hanging out at The Frosted Mug Drive In, wich was located at 11601 South Pulaski Road in Alsip Illinois.

TV shows like Happy Days and movies like American Grafitti, help to revive this era.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to burst your bubble Eddie, but Sandy's was NOT a drive-in as we thought of Drive-ins back in the day.
It was a restaurant on the order of McDonald's. It was built in '56. I worked about a mile from it and spent many lunch hours there. 15 cent hamburger, 10 cents for a bag of fries and 20 cents for a shake. Lunch for less than half a buck in '57.