Monday, March 26, 2012
















I found this "Rare" color photograph from 1955 at a website known as Rail Pictures.Net. Their web address is www.railpictures.net

I attended Chicago's Curie High School from 1977 to 1981, and spent a considerable
amount of spare time hanging out at the Grand Trunk Western Railroad's Elsdon Yard, located approximately a half a mile east of My high school.

I did not own My own camera just yet back then, but I felt that this quaint old
train yard from the steam era, still had some of the old charm from the steam era left in it yet. With an old railroad roundhouse on South Kedzie Avenue at West 49th Street, an old two story wooden passenger train station from 1888 on West 51st Street just east of South Lawndale Avenue, and towers to control the crossing gates at West 51st and West 55th Street...I fell in love with this place for the nostalgic look and feel alone of the place.

I often used to wonder how this place actually looked during the steam era.

This photograph was taken in the year of 1955, by a photographer who uses the nickname "Juice Junkie". Grand Trunk Western 0-8-0 steam locomotive # 8378, is photographed looking west, on the curve north of West 51st Street on a sunny day.
If one looks in the background, what looks like a control tower behind the B & O box car, is proboubly from the south hump of the adjacent Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe Corwith Yard to the north.

Sadly...the GTW closed Elsdon Yard for good in October of 1983, and I somehow was lucky to take photos here on a sunny day during the last week of operation.

This photo appears courtessy of the Jack Bejna collection.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: