Wednesday, March 21, 2012



















I found this historic 1960's era photo from Chicago's annual "Back of the yards" neighborhood "Free Fare" carnival on the internet today. This photo appears courtessy of the Chicago Tribune newspaper.

I was born in the city of Chicago Illinois in the year of 1962, and I grew up on the near southwest side of Chicago during the1960's, 70's and 80's era.

When I was a little boy during the 1960's, My family actually paid a few Summertime visits to the annual Chicago Free Fare carnival at West 47th Street and South Damen Avenue, in Chicago's Back Of The Yards neighborhood.

As I seem to recall...the fairgrounds were held on a vacant piece of land with a local Baseball field across the street from a neighborhood Tavern establishment.

This was a fun carnival to attend, during "Less Expensive" economic times in Chicago.

In this photo, several Roman Catholic Nuns from a local neighborhood church parish, are out enjoying a spin on the Bumper Car ride at the festival.

I believe that this festival was held at this location, until it eventually stopped during the early 1970's era. The field sat dormant except for local neighborhood baseball teams using the playing field.

Around 1982, the fare was revived for a year or two, and renamed "The Back Of The Yards Fare". It was now no longer a Free Fare, but rather one that was surrounded by temporary snow fencing, and an expensive admission price was charged to enter the fairgrounds.

By the mid 1980's, this property was redeveloped in to an outdoor retail strip mall.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my dad playing softball in the field. When we went to the Back of the Yards Fair, my dad knew one of the vendors selling hot dogs on a stick for the first time!
I also remember when the stock yards were still in operation...lots of cattle trucks on the streets of Chicago.

winslow

Anonymous said...

I also remember this carnival my mom use to take my sister and I when we were little girls. Great memories! My mom still owns her house on 47th and hoyne. I would really liked to see more pics from the carnival.