Tuesday, November 01, 2011

The Hollywood Snack Shop Restaurant in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood. (Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. September 1987.

Hello everyone!

Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page, from the city of Chicago Illinois USA.

I took this photo at the intersection of North Western and West Lawrence Avenues in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood, way back in September of 1987.

A once common sight in many of Chicago's neighborhoods with busy commercial shopping districts, were these 1950's and 60's era sit down soda fountain and grill restaurants that featured elaborate neon signs, and incadescant chase lights.

The Hollywood Snack Shop shown here, was more than likely in it's last decade of operation as a local neighborhood restaurant.
Just recently I had passed through this location, and seen that it had become a matress and bedding store.

I seem to somehow recall, that
there used to be a little street corner neighborhood grill with poorly maintained neon signage and incadescant chase lights that had long since quit working, on the southeast corner of West 59th Street and South Kedzie Avenue, in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood until at least the mid to late 1980's.

Few if any of these old restaurants like this, are still in business in the city of Chicago Illinois today.

This photo is an example, of how I would occasionally just take a simple random snap shot photo, just for the heck of it all.

I am so glad that I took this one while I had the chance to do so back in the late 1980's.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

3 comments:

winslow said...

Once again, a fantastic collection of Chicago's history.

Eddie K. said...

Thank You Winslow.
Great hearing from You buddy.

Eddie K.

Dennis Madia said...

Eddie,
I remember that place on 59th and Kedzie. It had a light greenish sign that wrapped around the curved corner. The letters lit up in pink neon I think the entrance was a corner facing doorway (I could be wrong) But I know for sure the corner portion of the neon said, "Beef Burgers". I do not know of the actual name of the place.

I know there was a Crime Story Episode where they were eating inside of Gerties and you could see the place clearly out the window.

That place was still around until the late 90's at least. I did take a picture of it in 1993, but I cannot find it anywhere.