Thursday, August 23, 2012

Wes Montgomery - Windy



Hi everyone!

This is Eddie K, your host and photographer here at Eddie's Railfan Page.

Aside from my obvious interest in trains and transportation subjects, I am also an avid fan of music.

In recent times, I kind of got tired of listening to the same old music and songs all the time, and actually began enjoying jazz music more and more. I have always enjoyed jazz music all of my life, but recently began to discover some of the all time greats of jazz.

One of my favorites I discovered recently from my own childhood in the 1960's, was the late great Wes Montgomery. Wes Montgomery was born in Indianapolis Indiana in 1923, and became a "Self Taught" and very acomplished jazz guitarist by the age of nineteen.

After being discovered, He toured whith Lionel Hampton during the 1950's, and eventually made it big during the 1960's along whith fellow jazz greats Dave Brubeck, Vince Gueraldi, Herb Alpert
and Ramsy Lewis.

Aside from his recordings of jazz standards, Wes Montgomery also did cover versions of songs from the popular groups of the time such as The Beatles, The Mamas and the Papas and The Association.


Sadly, Wes Montgomery passed away at the age of 45 from a massive heart attack in 1968 at the height of his career in jazz music.

In this video, Wes Montgomery performs his rendition of The Associations big 1967 hit song "Windy", on the Hollywood Palace television show.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

Anthony C said...

Very cool.

Wes's "Bumpin' on Sunset" is definitely one of the classics.