Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Oak Park Society of Model Engineers H.O Scale Model Railroad Club. Oak Park Illinois USA. July 2011.

I took this photograph last year, at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers, H.O Scale Model Railroad Club. (Of which I am a member.)

One of my favorite railroads that I fondly remember from growing up on the near southwest side of Chicago during the early 1970's era, was the former Illinois Central Gulf.

The ICG was created from the August 10th 1972 merger of the Illinois Central, and the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio railroads. I lived one mile north of the former Illinois Central's Iowa Division Mainline, and the former Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad that was located south of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal.

I recall that for a few years or so after the merger, one could occasionally find an unpainted locomotive or caboose from the former G,M & O on any given ICG train. The same could be said about the former New York Central, Pennsylvania Railroad, and New Haven railroad equipment after the 1968 merger that created the Penn CentralRailroad.

Seen here in the foreground, is my early 1970's era ICG freight train passing through the rear staging yard on the club layout.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: