Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The original "Sears" headquarters at 906 south Homan Avenue. (Whats left of it.) Chicago Illinois USA. December 2006.

This photo is very special to Me, as My family used to shop here occasionally during the 1960's when I was a kid.
This was the original Sears Robuck and Co Headquarters building at 906 south Homan Avenue on Chicago's westside.

Today, the Sears Robuck and Co is headquartered in far northwest suburban Hoffman Estates Illinois. This tower is all thats left of a once huge mail order center and store. I believe the building itself was demolished during the 1990's, but the tower was saved for some historical signifigance. The property is since being redeveloped with new housing where the building used to stand.

When I was growing up as a little boy during the 1960's in Chicago, My family would occasionally take the CTA Route
# 82 Homan / Kimball bus to the front door of the place, and
spend a pleasant afternoon shopping here. The workers were very friendly and courteous. Most every trip I made here usually involved Me getting a "Milk Shake" in the stores cafeteria, or "Popcorn" from a very fragrent candy counter concession. Mmmmmm!
I can still remeber a traffic cop blowing his whistle for pedestrian traffic in front of the store at Rush Hour. "Twee-eeeeet!" Lets Go! Twee-eeeeet -Twee-eeeet!"

The Chicago Transit Authority was using 1950's vintage "Propane" buses from the Flxible Twin Coach Co on this route back then. My family informed Me after viewing this photograph, that
My deceased Grandmother worked and retired from here many years ago.

The Railroad line on the adjacent concrete viaduct, was the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad. I can vaguely recall seeing B&OCT switching locals, as well as Soo Line trains working
this line during the 1960's and early 70's.
This is a happy memory from a forgotten piece of Chicago.

Thank You.
Eddie.

2 comments:

Tom Gill said...

So, that's the original "Sears Tower!"

We used to shop at the store on Western somewhere around 63rd street. I remember the same popcorn smell and the candy counter. I too would be able to get a bag of popcorn or some candy.

I remember a special Sears store in Clearwater, Florida where for years they had pair of men's pants on a special display. The pants were upsidedown and attached to a fan so the legs would stand up vertically and wave around. I loved that as a kid. This same store is also the very spot where I saw my first video game -pong.

Memories....

jaybirdAZ said...

I worked at the Homan Avenue B&OCT Yard back in 1968. Would love to find photos of the area
Tim A. Janes
tim@janes.org