Thursday, May 03, 2007

Former GTW and IC locmotives working Crawford Yard. Chicago Illinois USA. Early April 2007.

Two fallen flag diesel units from the Grand trunk Western, and the former Illinois Central are now employed by the Canadian National Railroad after the two respective mergers in recent years.

I took this photo after work one evening in early April of 2007. We are looking southeast from South Kostner Avenue at approximately west 33rd Street. Crawford Yard, is a tiny sorting and staging yard located just west of south Pulaski road. Small trains of tank cars are sorted here.
In the background to the far left, is the former Commonwealth Edison Crawford Generating Station on south Pulaski Road.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How weird that I should stumble across your blog I was only the other day writing about rail "hobos" on mine ... at gledwood2.blogspot.com you would have to look 3 or 4 posts down to find it now but I asked if anyone knows any more about them... do you? I've always loved trains since I was a kid. Such a superior means of travelling about!!

All the best to you and keep up the great blog

Gledwood

Anonymous said...

Yeah I just put your link in my post today (2nd from top) where I was talking about trains as well.

I love your photos. Did you know Brit trains are tiny? Not in the width guage but height! We only ever have single-deckers (ironic in the country famous for the double-decker bus!!) Only trains from London to France can be double decker and even they aren't at the moment ...

Anyway, take it EZ
Gleds

Eddie said...

Hello Gledwood.
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page, coming to You from the city of Chicago.
I don'treally know much about Hobo's and Drifters, other than they are usually Homeless -Chemically dependent -Mentally Ill
or sometimes Military veterans who fell on hard times.
I usually avoid them, as there are a lot of panhandlers on Chicago's street corners.
Although I do occasionally help them by giving them a snack or a cold drink from My lunch box cooler. I even give a dollar or two occasionally so that they could have a bite to eat.
I am a good samaritan too.

Otherwise, I am glad that You enjoy My railfan photos from this side of the big pond. There is another Brittish Rail fan friend of mine named Iain, who resiides at My links page railwayroundabout.com.

Thank You.
Eddie.