Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Eastbound Union Pacific Railroad double stack container train. Hayford Junction. Chicago Illinois USA. Late March 2007.

I took this photo after work, one evening back in late March of 2007. Seen here heading eastbound on the Belt Railway of Chicago trackage, is a lenghty Union Pacific double stack container train, passing over the now single track former Grand trunk Western track. The Grand trunk Western's north south track used to be a mainline track, but is now an industrial spur serving the former Elsdon Yard between 51st and 55th Street. The former Elsdon facility is now a railroad materials storage yard, and is served by a Canadian National switching local.
Hayford Junction is located at West 75th Street and South Central Park Avenue in Chicago's Ashburn neighborhood, approximately one mile east of Richard J. Daley college.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is ashame to see that single track crossing 55th Street everytime I head up to see my relatives (who lives right around the block) I vividly remember that active yard, and when we were on that side of town the non-stop bells and lights flashing for that busy crossing. I heard 55th Street was the largest crossing this side of the Mississippi. Dennis

Eddie said...

Hi Dennis!
Long time no hear buddy!
How are things in Ohio today?
Yeah...I miss the better days on the old GTW too. I wish I had taken more Elsdon photos than I did back in the 1980's.
Do Yourself a favor Dennis. If You can find the time...Click on
"Join the Eddie's Railfan Group"
to the right in the links section.
Click on "Files" -and You can download some digital silent video clips I had taken around Chicago this spring. I have former I.C and GTW switching a Canadian National Yard -CTA Rapid Transit and buses -
and even Metra and Amtrak too.

I hope that You enjoy seeing them.
Thank You.
Eddie.