Friday, June 01, 2007

Friday night roller skating. The Oaklawn Roller Rink. Oaklawn Illinois USA. October 1983.

Hi everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page.
I took this photo from the south parking lot at the Oaklawn Roller Rink on south Cicero Avenue.
Me and a friend I had attended Curie High School with, went on a fun outing to the Oaklawn Roller Rink one friday night in October of 1983.

7 years later, I moved to Oaklawn, and lived a few blocks north of the rink. I became a Sunday night skater for a few years, and enjoyed listening to the very talented John O'Keefe on the roller rink organ while I skated laps inside.
The Oaklawn Roller Rink and the printing business that shared the same building, were demolished at some point during the mid 1990's. This is now a Saturn car dealership today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can remember that local punks hung out here on Friday night, and occasionally the Oaklawn police had to break up a few fist fights in the parking lot.

tlee169 said...

I went here on a double date around age 13 which was a LONG time ago, 1959.