Thursday, March 27, 2008

The corner news stand. Berwyn Illinois USA. January 2008.

This little noticed but very community oriented neighborhood newspaper and magazine stand, is located just north of the corner of South Oak Park Avenue, and West Cermak Road, in the western suburb of Berwyn Illinois.

News stand vendor operations were quiete common at one time in Chicago, but have become a vanishing icon of decades past in recent times.

On this cold and windy January day in 2008, this newspaper vendor has the advantage of having a Burger King fast food restaurant located out of view to the right, with immediate rest rooms, hot food and plenty of coffee ready at any given time when selling in these cold winter days.

3 comments:

leomemorial said...

Hey!! It's my birthday today...

Hope everyone had a great week!

Eddie said...

Happy Birthday Leomemorial!
I wish for You all the best
on Your special day.
I hope that all of us in
the pizza outing group will have
a chance to get together again
sometime soon. We enjoyed getting
to meet You in person.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

~NinaAnne~ said...

I am interested in finding out if any of the newspaper stands still exist. I am searching for a man named Ron who owned one of those stands. He has a son named Sam. I believe that Ron is my father. I don't have a last name. I am going on memories and faith that someone out there knows him. If anyone does know him or the name of the newspaper stand, please contact me at NinaAnneLangdon@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance.

~Nina Anne Langdon~