Monday, November 02, 2009

Photo runby at the CTA Sedgwick station. Chicago Illinois USA. April 1986.

CTA Snowflake Special fantrip making a photo runby at the Sedgwick station. Chicago Illinois. April 1986.

I took this photo on an Illinois Railway Museum sponsored fantrip over the Chicago Transit Authority's rapid transit lines in April of 1986. The excursion was billed as " The Snowflake Special" and utilized an 8 car train of 1950's era 6000 series rapid transit cars that were built by the St. Louis Car Company.

The Snowflake Special chartered excursion train, is seen performing a photo runby at the CTA Sedgwick station. The two yellow cars, were normally used by the CTA for maintenance and snowplow service.

Today, this is the CTA Brown line . Back in 1986m this line was known as the Ravenswood Elevated line.

2 comments:

Lin said...

That's a neat looking photo, Eddie. Looks like you used some special effects. I like it!

Eddie said...

Hi Lin!
Great to hear from You.
It was an old photo that was begining to fade a little, so I enhanced it on My computer somewhat.
Yeah...I guess that You could call that a special effect. I agree.

I remember that this fantrip was in early April of 1986. I rode aboard those two yellow snowplow service cars on this trip. They were tan and brown on the interior colors and had seats as well as advertising just like the other in service 6000 series cars. Two seats were removed from the front area, and in their place were a couple of 55 gallon steel drums and a toolbox or two.

It was a fun excursion to be on.

Thanks.
Eddie K.