Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Jakter Hotel on the southeast corner of West 47th Street and South Kedzie Avenue. (Gone) New Years Day 1983 shortly before the demolition.

Jakter Hotel at West 47th Street and South Kedzie Avenue. New Years Day 1983.

One of the more obscure local Chicago neighborhood subjects that I had photographed during the early 1980's, was the Jakter Hotel at the intersection of West 47th Street and South Kedzie Avenue in Chicago's Elsdon neighborhood.

This was one of the last southside Chicago transient skid row type of hotels in existance. The upcoming demolition was announced in the local Chicago newspapers shortly before I snapped this photo. Here is the Jakter Hotle looking north on South Kedzie Avenue on a quiet and sunny New Years Day in January of 1983.

1 comment:

Dennis Madia said...

Eddie, I have seen this photo you have posted before, but damn if that does not bring up memories...I remember sitting at that light on Kedzie and looking over at that place from the back seat of my parents station wagon on the way to and the way home (depending on which way we went)from my grandparents house. Especially at night (I could be wrong) but I rememember that little extension on the side had a few stairs going down (not many two or three) and it was lit up with bright lights (night time of course)and wondering just what was going on in there. Little did I know it was one seedy joint.

Everytime I went back up there after we had moved to Cincinnati in April of 83' I could never remember where this old building was and questioned if I was right thinking it was even on Kedzie.....THANKFULLY...you took this photo.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and to all who visit your site.

Dennis